The new five-week course, Inside IELTS: Preparing for the Test with the Experts, is for anyone who wants to study abroad and have English language qualification. This free online course is created by Cambridge English Language Assessment (part of the University of Cambridge), who produce the IELTS test. The course will start on January 9, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Cambridge English Language Assessment is a part of Cambridge Assessment, a not-for-profit department of the University of Cambridge. Their role is to develop and deliver English language testing, teacher development, and curriculum reform worldwide, as part of the University’s educational mission. They have around 650 staff working in offices in more than 20 countries worldwide and a global network of 2,800 authorized centres who deliver our exams.
FutureLearn is a social learning platform based in the UK and providing free, online courses from the world’s leading educators. They have over 3 million registered learners studying over 6.5 million courses.
About This Course
- What skills are important for success in the IELTS Academic test?
- How do IELTS examiners assess your level?
- What do you need to do in order to improve your IELTS band score?
This five-week course will help you find answers to questions like these.
Why Take This Course?
Applicants will learn about the skills they need for IELTS Academic and beyond, on this free online course from the experts who produce the test.
Applicants will get a clearer idea of what and how to study, both to prepare for the test and to develop your academic English skills. By the end of the course, they will:
- Understand how IELTS Writing and Speaking are assessed and have an opportunity to share your own writing and speaking with experts and other learners;
- Know more about the different Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking tasks in the test and how to do your best in these;
- Understand your own strengths and needs, so that you can get a better IELTS band score and improve your English;
- See how English is used at university, and how this is related to the IELTS test;
- And be able to prepare for the IELTS test in a way that will benefit them beyond the exam.
Dr. Gad Lim is Principal Research Manager at Cambridge English Language Assessment. He conducts research on second language learning, teaching, and testing.
- This course is for anyone who wants to improve their IELTS score. It is especially useful for people who want to take IELTS Academic and go to university.
- University has tried to use simple English in the course as much as possible, but we recommend your English is at least level B1 (around IELTS band 4.5 or higher) to take the course.
- The course is aimed at people preparing for IELTS Academic. If you are preparing for IELTS General Training, you will find that some of this course is useful for you, but not all. Of course, you are welcome to join. Speaking and Listening are the same in Academic and General Training, but Reading and Writing are different.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).